Helping Our Community Stay Healthy
At St. Francis Medical Center, our teams of physicians, nurses and health professionals are invested in the health and wellness of the southeast Lost Angeles community. Together, we offer community health programs to individuals, children and families where they live, work and play, making it easier for them to achieve their best health.
Healthy Community Initiatives
Through a mobile health unit, the healthy community initiative (HCI) delivers screenings, immunizations and health education to people who may not otherwise have access to care. Our mobile health unit is a “medical office on wheels,” equipped with a waiting area and private examination room.
We frequently visit local schools, churches, businesses and community organizations. Community members receive free healthcare services from nurses and support staff including primary care, specialized care for diabetes and other chronic conditions as well as flu shots and referrals for follow-up care.
Vida Sana Wellness Program
Our health professionals are helping faith-based communities in southeast and South Central Los Angeles achieve “vida sana,” which is Spanish for a healthy lifestyle.
We offer a range of fun and educational activities to help community members achieve vida sana through:
- Moving more
- Eating a healthy diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Keeping a positive spirit
- Ensuring access to health services
- Quitting tobacco use and smoking
- Encouraging breast-feeding
Nutrition Education Obesity Prevention Grant (NEOP Grant)
With the help of trained health educators (promotoras), we are leading the fight against obesity. Obesity is a medical condition in which the body carries higher than normal levels of fat, increasing a person’s risk for other health issues, including diabetes.
The goals of the NEOP grant are to empower community members to select healthy foods and beverages and increase physical activity. This program is available thanks to funding from the Los Angeles Department of Public Health.
Choose Health L.A. Kids Program Grant
Choose Health L.A. Kids promotes healthy eating and active living in the communities we serve, including Lynwood, Compton, Watts, Willowbrook and Paramount. Our goal is to prevent obesity through physical activity and helping families build healthy lifestyles. This program is available thanks to funding from First 5 LA.
- Providing nutrition education to parents
- Grocery store tours and food demonstrations
- Talking with parents and sharing written information about nutrition and physical activity resources in the community
Choose Health L.A. Moms
Choose Health L.A. Moms helps new moms adopt a healthy lifestyle by walking, drinking more water and breastfeeding. We offer encouragement and help moms stay on track through text messages, smartphone apps, online programs and community contacts. Learn more or enroll in Choose Health L.A. Moms.
Contact us at (310) 900-7380 to learn more about the services we offer or to make an appointment.
Communit Resource Guides
Download one of our community resource guides to learn more about care providers and helpful services in your neighborhood:
- Serving the Community of Compton (English)
- Sirviendo a la Comunidad de Compton (Español)
- Serving the Community of Lynwood (English)
- Sirviendo a la Comunidad de Lynwood (Español)
- Serving the Community of Paramount (English)
- Sirviendo a la Comunidad de Paramount (Español)
- Serving the Community of Willowbrook (English)
- Sirviendo a la Comunidad de Willowbrook (Español)